Pages

Lentil Soup

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Another childhood soup. When I was in the last weeks of pregnancy and in the first weeks after having Norah, my mom stayed with me and made me this soup as I had been craving it (along with homemade bread). I made it for several weeks to eat for lunch every day with homemade bread and Vermont sharp cheddar cheese. It is very healthy and ensures a generous portion of vegetables and lean protein. Also a great comfort food on a cold day!



Ingredients:

1 bag lentils
1 bayleaf
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-4 potatoes, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
water
1 T oil
1 t salt
2 chicken bouillon cubes (or sub chicken stock for the water)
2 t balsamic OR cider vinegar
Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Rinse lentils and soak overnight or according to package. Place in slow cooker or pot with water to cover. Add 1 bayleaf. Add vegetables, oil, salt, bouillon. Cook in slow cooker or pot. Add vinegar at end. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment